Sunday, October 21, 2012

What is the total number of toilets, tubs and sinks in your house?

This is Part 7 of a series on How to get your husband or wife a green card.  Check out the whole series here.

You did it! You made it to the interview.  After all your paperwork is approved, you will get an appointment for your immigration interview.  Both of you must attend this interview, as well as any children you two may have together.  I was so nervous about this I bet I cried everyday for like a week.  Your appointment letter has instructions on what to bring and what to wear.  I turned to the internet to figure out what to "study".  There are all these websites that list 100's of questions that you will be asked.  If you aren't shady, they won't ask any of these.  I later found out that these are used when you have to be split up because something doesn't seem right.

The night before I had found a picture from every event that Dufda and I had ever attended, every time we took a trip together, every time he saw my family, basically one picture from every month we had been together.  I sent these off to Sam's Club to be printed.  When I went to pick them up, there was something wrong with the order and they weren't ready.  I broke down into tears and told the guy that he was going to cause my husband to be deported.  Dufda took me to Taco Bell to make me feel better.  We got the pictures.

That morning we woke up and got all dressed up.  We headed over to Homeland Security and went through security.  We had to wait in a room with everyone else who had interviews scheduled for that day.  There were definitely some people that were trying to cheat the system.  I know they were able to watch us while we waited.  We finally got called in and were interviewed by a older, very kind lady.  She went over our application and asked Dufda some questions and then handed him a book that said Welcome to the United States.  That was it!  Dufda insisted on showing the lady our wedding album.  She played along because Dufda wanted the Immigration interview experience.  She asked us what kind of milk we drank and what Dufda got me for Valentine's day.  The last one he forgot, but he is a guy, what can you expect.  We received his green card 4 days later.

The green card that you get is a conditional green card.  After two years the conditions will be removed if everything still looks legit.  There is more paperwork to file within 90 days of your 2 year anniversary date.

Happy 1 year anniversary to us!! Now time to eat some year old cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment