Thursday, October 11, 2012

Painting Day 1 - Nugget's Nursery

I thought I could finish the bedroom in one day.  I would have been able to pre-pregnancy, but painting is super hard with Nugs pushing on my bladder and making my back feel like I just fell from a three story building.  The first step in painting this room was to repair the wall where I had displayed all my Barbies.  Yes, I was a super cool 20-something year old that collected Barbies, and displayed them in her room.  That was until they all got stolen.  These Barbies were held up with wooden dowels.  These had to be removed and the holes needed patched.  I started this process that night before because the holes were literally like filling the ones my dogs dig to China, never ending.  Luckily, when I went down to the obstacle course that is my garage, I found the paint that was used to paint this room so I didn't need to buy new stuff to cover the patches.  Our garage is currently over taken by baby stuff that needs to be moved into this room as soon as it is finished.  Anyway, here is a before that was taken with the Barbies in place and the after.
The Barbies covered the wall

All Gone!
The next step was to tackle the ceiling.  At the ripe old age of 19, I thought that putting pink and green polka dots on the ceiling would be a fantastic idea.  It didn't matter then, but when you throw a husband into the mix, Tink Pink isn't the best color for your bedroom. 

Look at that beauty of a ceiling!

All Gone!
 That was covered with a nice coat of bright white paint.  I never realized how not white our ceiling was.  My furnace had a smoke fire a couple of year ago and the house was never completely restored.  The bright white makes it so much more open.  Now onto that pink wall!

Yay for being pregnant and painting.  This mask was so hot and I just had to breath my hot breath in again and again.

I was pretty nervous to get rid of this pink paint.  I had no idea how many coats it would take, so we primed the wall first and then used Glidden Duo Paint + Primer.  We had to test the color first, which made this a two day project.
No more pink!
Do you like the color?
As soon as I put the sample on the wall I loved it!  I think it matched the curtains perfectly!  This is where we stopped for the day.  We had to create a bed on the floor out of couch cushions because the room smelled so bad.  This was probably the most uncomfortable way to sleep for a pregnant woman.  On to the finish project....


8 comments:

  1. The polka dots were cute! Good job on painting, I hate painting. When pregnant I just hung out downstairs while my husband and a girlfriend of mine painted the nursery..I'm lazy haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I can't wait to see it when it's finished! Oh and I LOVED the pink and green (and the polka dots too) - love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I HATE painting! I'd rather hire someone lol. Can't wait to see the finished room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate painting too! Since we are moving in Feb probably, we didnt paint this time. Thank the LORD! But I liked the ceiling dots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to see the finished room! You really collected barbies?! you should post photos of your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of polka dots on the ceiling! I agree with Jessica, let's see the collection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate painting the last room "I" painted was hired out she was in and out in under 3 hours well worth it haha it would have taken me the whole weekend. I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the polka dots on the ceiling!! Fabulous idea. You're better than I am. I didn't do anything while I was pregnant! ;)

    ReplyDelete