Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pressure Cooker Beef Stew

I received a pressure cooker for my bridal shower and love to cook with it.  It makes everything so much easier.  I thought I would share what I made for dinner last night.  My original plan was to cook beef stew in the crock pot.  I woke up late, so I was unable to chop everything in the morning, so I figured I would just throw it in the pressure cooker when I got home.  This was my first run with making this and it turned out great!
This is really all you need:
  • Five carrots, I used six because I didn't want to leave one in the bag
  • 3 big potatoes
  • an onion
  • 2 tsp of corn starch
  • 1 tbp of vegetable oil
  • the big package of beef stew meet
  • beef stew seasoning
  • salt to taste
  • 2 cups of water
  • Dufda wanted peas, so there were added in later
1.  Peel and chop the carrots, potatoes and onion.

2. Add the oil to your pressure cook and set to the brown setting

3. Add meat and onion to pressure cooker.  Cook until meat is all browned.
4. Add carrots to browned meat and onions.  Mix all together.

5. Mix the seasoning packet with 2 cups of water.  Add to the pressure cooker.
6. Attach lid and keep on brown until you can hear the mixture boiling.
7. Put on high pressure for 20 minutes.


8. In the mean time, add your potatoes to a pan and cover with water.  Boil until the pressure cooker goes off.
9.  This is when Dufda says that I forgot to add peas.  I pulled some out of the freezer and started to cook them.
10.  When the 20 minutes is up, release the pressure on your cooker according to the instructions.
11.  Make a slurry with a little cold water and the corn starch.
12.  Remove the lid from the pressure cooker and return to the brown setting.  Bring to a boil.  Add the cornstarch.
 
 
13. Drain the peas and potatoes and add to the pressure cooker.  Cook for a couple of minutes to combine the flavors. Add salt to taste.
14.  We prepare rice as well, but this meal would be could as a stew.
 
Here is your finished product! Dufda loved it and I was very happy to have tons of left overs for the rest of the week.




 

8 comments:

  1. YUM! I'll be making this in th enext few weeks for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you could actually cook meals in a pressure cooker! I don't own one but this is definitely cool to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good! I'll have to try this as it gets colder outside--yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks yummy, I've never cooked with a pressure cooker before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. do a quick release, add the potatoes, and then cook for 10 min,less work and less pans,,i like all the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really interested in learning more about cooking with pressure cookers. Actually, I want a pressure CANNER so I can also learn to preserve the garden goodness!

    ReplyDelete