Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I don't want my baby to sleep through the night...

Almost immediately after having a baby, strangers and family alike want to know how your baby is sleeping?  I don't know the purpose of this question.  Are you trying to compare me to yourself, make me feel bad if my baby doesn't sleep up to your standards, or do you have nothing better to say?  Even as a first time mom, it was shocking to me how many other first time moms have it so imbedded in their heads that their babies must sleep through the night.  Everyone always asks, "My baby is 6 weeks old and won't sleep unless they are held, what do I do?"  Do you know what you do?  You hold your baby.  You can't get that moment back.  I feel like our parents make us think we can't hold our babies because they were raised to almost feel bad for holding us to much. 
Nugget sleeping his first week home

I write this because my baby didn't sleep.  Well, he slept when I held him or when I wore him, but then I couldn't sleep and everyone's piece of advice is sleep when your baby sleeps....this is a load of crap...most of the time.  For us, the first 6 weeks were a big crap shoot of when Nugs would actually sleep.  Most of the time he was in his car seat or wrapped in the Moby.  Then at 6 weeks something happened.  I was reading him a story while he played in his crib and he fell asleep.  Now I am not one to wake a sleeping baby, but I didn't know if I was ready for Nugget to sleep in his room.  Up until this day we either co-slept or bed shared and I imagine and wanted to do this for a pretty long time.  Nothing really beats snuggling with your baby.  That first night I barely slept, but Nugget slept really well.  From there we created our little bedtime routine.  Every other night Nugget would get a bath, then we would swaddle him and read him stories till he fell asleep.  We put him down at 8 o'clock every night and he was consistently waking up at 4 am to eat.


This week I returned to work.  I hate that I come home and I get very little time to play with my baby, but he knows his bedtime so I am still sticking with it.  Last night he went to bed just like usual.  I woke up at 4:30am and Nugget still hadn't woken up.  You would think that as a new mother who works full time and could seriously use that sleep would be so excited about her baby still being a sleep.  Wrong.  I was sad.  Everyone tells you that it won't last forever so enjoy it now.  Even with a 3 month old I know this to be true.  Be it, the late night feedings that are shared just between you and your baby, or getting peed or pooped on while your baby laughs because he thinks it is really funny, or anything else you may have deemed annoying before you had your baby, you can't get it back so enjoy it while it lasts.
How Nugs wakes up : )

5 comments:

  1. I can easily relate to this post. The first night my baby girl slept soundly alone in her pack and play I was up all night. I just sat there and stared at her. She was so content and looked so peaceful. I always thought it was the baby that needed to sleep with me in bed and then I realized it was me who needed the baby to sleep. Even now I quickly grab her the second I feel her stirring and pull her into bed with me to snuggle and sleep. I don't care if it is a habit I'll have to break later because she's my baby and I want to enjoy every second of being with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! After he wakes up, he does not go back in his crib, he comes in bed with us and I love it.

      Delete
  2. In case you are the particular one particular those who likes to bring stylish components and possess any louis vuitton replica regarding trend hand bags you then will be the best applicant to get a hobo carrier. Today, Gucci hobo carrier will be invaluable for your modern day girl. Hobo hand bags may be taken to be able to business office and even taken up a party. The particular honest Gucci hobo louis vuitton replica can be found in correct rates. The purchase price is quite large. You should purchase any duplicate Gucci hobo carrier regarding as low as 200-300 money or perhaps can pay upwards of thousands of money to get a modish artist Gucci hobo carrier. Accessible in several types, models and also shades, you should purchase printed hobo hand bags in accordance with your budget. The favorite types inside hobo hand bags contain, zero clothes, attract sequence hobos, clutch i465 black type, rectangle type, lean type, flap type, organized kinds, company deal with type and also suitable container type hobos. The particular modern day stylish Gucci hobo carrier may be effortlessly louis vuitton replica simply by their particular falcate condition and also one wrist strap. Gucci hobo hand bags, can effortlessly become said to are already made for the present day evening multitasking girl, because of their outside storage compartments and also plenty of inside area which can make that a great carrier to hold cell phones, credit/ debit charge cards, PDA’s, cosmetics as well as other crucial things. Many different components are employed inside the generation with this carrier. A number of the well-known components which can be chanel outlet to produce hobo hand bags contain laminated canvas, velvet, man-made chanel outlet, natural cotton, suede, corduroy, convertible top lined canvas, nappa buckskin, jacquard cloth, bubble rubber and also denim and others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forge my baby to sleep on time everyday but I still let him sleep on my bed. I think this can help him sleep better and safer! I will let him sleep alone when he grows up a bit more. I hope this won't become his bad habits!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Samantha, you're having too much patience that you are managing your baby and work simultaneously and quite perfectly. Yeah it's true, every new mom wants their baby to sleep the whole night so that they can also take rest but you sounds little different. You have been well acquainted with the sleeping habit of your baby hence it makes easy for you to handle him. It was really nice reading your concern on baby sleep issues. For your newborn, you may visit Baby Products site for some unique baby products. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete