Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Babywearing Grandpap

Before I had my little nugget I was very intrigued by this whole babywearing phenomenon, which isn't really a phenomenon anyway and has actually been around for ages.  Having a child has made me far more crunchy than I ever was.  I envisioned my little cloth diapered child, held up in a sling breastfeeding while I stroll around a farmer's market in a floor length flowy skirt.  I mean this really is how it turned out.  What I didn't realize is that babywearing can really help my dad be able to bond with Nugget.  I also didn't realize that everyone would think that my dad babywearing would be so cool...man was I wrong.

My dad broke his neck when I was 7 or 8.   It was a traumatic time for my family and I can remember being a little girl thinking about what I would miss out on because my dad was in a wheelchair.  The real answer, although he would tend to disagree, is nothing.  I feel like I was very fortunate growing up.  I got everything I wanted and more.  We went on vacation every year, sometimes twice.  My dad never stopped moving and I think this is why we were so lucky to have grown up the way we did.  There were some things that I did worry about.  Will I dance with my dad at my wedding?  Will he be be able to hold my children and play with them?  Well here is the answer to first question:
The answer to the second question led my Nugget and his grandpap to go viral on Facebook.  I knew I loved babywearing because I had two hands available.  I figured this would translate into a successful arrangement for my dad as well.  I have a whole slew of carriers, but didn't know which one would be best.  We tried the K'Tan first since it is easy to use.  I had an extra small, which I knew would be too tight but figured I would still give it a try.  This is what we got:
Since I posted this picture, the interest in babywearing in a wheelchair has been crazy.  I was just looking for some suggestions as to what other options we could try.  What I got was people being genuinely excited to see babywearing for its actual purpose.  Baby K'tan so kindly sent a more proper fitting carrier so hopefully my dad will be able to push around with Nugget.  Do you have an awesome babywearing story?  I would love for you to link in the comments to your babywearing stories!

8 comments:

  1. This seriously made me tear up! I love that your Dad can hold Jad in this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing story! I too have become far more crunch than I ever expected I would be!! I love a good father daughter story :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this!!! he looks so proud and happy to be a grandpa! and be holding his sweeeet little grandson! NO WORDS! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew how awesome baby wearing would be until my baby was born. Two free hands and one happy baby later I was sold. I haven't tried the K'Tan but I've heard great things about it. Your dad looks so proud. What an awesome way for them to bond!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, this is a fantastic story! That's awesome that your Dad can baby wear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that you shared this! That is an amazing story and its great that you found something that can help Grandpa and your little one to be close. I love baby wearing even more now after reading this :) Thank you again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son was born with hip dysplasia in both hips. At 7 months he was put in a cast from his chest down to his ankles with his legs bent out in a kind of frog position. He was not comfortably put in a stroller and the weight of the cast nearly doubled his body weight so carrying hands free was not really a viable long term solution... and we did need a fairly long term solution as he needed to remain in the cast for 3 months, followed by 3 more months in a hip brace which wasn't heavy but still kept him in the same position. Luckily I was not new to babywearing and already had an ergobaby carrier which fitted him in his wide seated position perfectly. We spent that whole summer pottering around together, just my son, and me (and occasionally his father) and the trusty ergo!!

    I love your story! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you’re nonetheless on the brink regarding shedding options and also final chanel outlet bargains as you shortage the essential arbitration talent education, next realizing the essentials regarding arbitration can available gates and also gates regarding countless accomplishment testimonies to suit your needs! Please read on and discover how. What’s the aim? Make sure you figure this out well enough to have the causes and also reasons around the other person you’re working with. Have got concrete floor and also certain things accessible. When you must utilize chanel outlet, be certain they may be since at the specific factor. Try not to overestimate or perhaps under-estimate. Bear in mind, with regards to arbitration talent education is always to turn out using a package in which rewards equally celebrations consequently. What’s the particular other’s aim? Maintain your feels ready to accept the other person. Hear attentively. The foundation regarding reducing is always to realize one other part with the coin well enough to produce chanel outlet and also retain the good ideas. Make certain that you're not biased within your selections. Bear in mind, the particular guy or girl throughout the stand just might add up also. Value "give and also take". One of many basics regarding arbitration requires chanel outlet the method regarding offering inside and also having again. An individual can’t acquire all of it. It is possible to simply chanel outlet the finest final result can be a consequence of the particular bargain in which equally celebrations help make.

    ReplyDelete