Saturday, February 16, 2013

Jad's Monster Nursery is Finished!!



I had originally wanted to finish Jad's nursery before 25 weeks.  I guess at 25 weeks it was usable, but it was nothing like how I really wanted it.  Today at 37 weeks and 6 days I can say that the whole darn thing is done.  It is definitely not everyone's style.  It is bright and vibrant and borderline obnoxious, but so are kids so I think it is fitting.  The room is small and I saw no where to make cuts, so we crammed everything in.  The theme is monsters and anything that is primary bright colors and frankly I love it so much that I may sleep in there a night or two.
So in this picture, you can see the paper lanterns that could have been the death of me.  I have learned that the trick with these is to keep it simple and use lots of hooks.  I purchased the lanterns from the Paper Lantern Store.  They are super cheap!  They are hung with clear thread.  You usually had to do a triple knot and wrap the thread several times to get them to stay. 

Reading is super important to us, and thanks to friends and family, Nugget has a ton of books that are both English, Arabic and some in both languages.  The shelves were found at Garden Ridge and are actually to put photos on, but with such a small room I opted for a super shallow shelf.

Our windows in this room were 72 inches by 21 inches.  Try to find curtains to fit that...here's a hint, you won't.  I decided I would teach myself to sew and make these babies my self, how hard could a curtain be, right?  It was pretty hard and very time consuming.  I would make one, then forget the pattern and have to make a whole new pattern.  They all look the same, but I doubt they really are the same.  I do think the are pretty awesome though.


 Next up: Nugget's Crib!  We went with the Coco & Company Monster Buds bedding set and made the whole room off of this.  I also made some homemade monsters as decoration.  The mobile is my own creation.  I started with the frame of a mobile from another bedding set.  I then made little monsters out of fleece, buttons and thread.  They are attached through elastic.  Since I used a mobile from another set, it still has the music to go with it.

The mirror, leaf and crib are all from Ikea in this picture.  Ikea is by far my favorite furniture store because everything comes flat and is easy to transport.  The crib does change into a toddler bed as well, so it has some longevity to it.


The changing table was source of contention in my house.  Is it needed, is it not?  I was all for it, Dufda said there wasn't room.  The room thing was for sure an issue, but he was able to make it work.  Also from Ikea and goes with the crib.  I couldn't imagine not having the storage.  We are cloth diapering and I want to make sure to make it as easy as possible, so I need everything at an arm's reach.


The artwork above the changing table was made by my aunt as a gift for my shower.  My child won't ever be able to just go buy something with his name on it, so this was a pretty cool gift.  The two on the side are from the bedding set.


The clock was also made by my aunt, the glare is bad but it also has Jad's name on it.  The two prints were customs from Etsy.  They are above a dresser, from no other than, Ikea.


I had wanted this furniture from the moment I saw it in Ikea...about 7 years ago, when I had no desire to have any children.  It reminds me of Blue's Clues and I just love it for a little boy.  The flooring is Arabic alphabet play tiles.  They can be found here.


Lastly, here is his light fixture!  Of course, we couldn't have a regular light...and yes it is from Ikea.



Well, I hope you like it!  More pictures to come when the little monster makes his arrival.


5 comments:

  1. i love it. i tried hard to make an older kiddos monster room. got it painted perfect and looking good and then we moved. yours looks 1000% better than mine tho. so cute and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Monsters was hard there is so little out there.

      Delete
  2. Your nursery is lovely! I love that it's in bright colors. We did that in our little guys room too. I figure that way he won't outgrow it so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, LOVE!!! I really wanted to do monsters for my daughter, but she's 16 months old now and her room is still bare (happens, with no money). I figure I'll just be able to start from scratch by the time she cares. Anyway, LOVE ♥

    ReplyDelete