Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Babies, Bridesmaids and Breastfeeding


A funny thing happens when you are 27.  ALL of your friends get married...at the same time.  I remember I was picking up balloons for a bridal shower that I was doing and there was girl next to me doing the same thing.  I asked her how old she was...wouldn't you know, she was 27.  In all I had 6 sets of friends get married and 2 cousins.  Of those, I was a bridesmaid in 3 of the weddings.  This is a tough act to juggle with a baby so I am going to give you some tips based on my experience.

The Dress:
Most likely you will not get to pick the dress but if you do have a choice here are some things to keep in mind.  If you are breastfeeding you will want to make it as easy as possible to gain access to the boob.  I was very pregnant when all of the brides were picking out bridesmaid dresses so I was unable to try anything on.  So, what size do you order?  This will differ from bridal shop to bridal shop.  In one place I was told to order one size up from pre pregnancy size another actually told me to measure my waist and add a size...while I was 8 months pregnant.  Bigger is better, but only to an extent because you will then have to cut the dress in half to get it to fit.  The first wedding that I was in was just 4 weeks after Nugget was born.  We were able to choose whatever dress we wanted in a certain color.  This was a godsend because I was able to rent from Little Borrowed Dress.  They sent you two sizes and you just send it back when you are done.  I hope to never be that size so I certainly didn't want a dress in the size.  They even send you two different sizes to make sure that one will fit.  Straps are best, because your boobs are going to me much larger than they use to be.  With that you will most likely need a new, supportive strapless bra.

If you are aren't in the wedding or need a dress for a rehearsal, definitely go with something that is breastfeeding friendly.  Here are some great options here.

Feeding your baby:
Weddings equal long days.  You never know what you will be doing because you do not make the schedule.  You will need to meet to get ready and then get pictures taken and then there is a myriad of events of which you need to be apart of.  Weddings are not conducive with a breastfeeding and pumping schedule of a new mom so here is how to make the best of it.  Bring a manual and electric pump.  Make sure you have a cooler on hand.  I have pumped in the bathroom, I have pumped in the bridal suite, I have pumped on the ride over to the wedding.  Make sure that you have some heavy duty breast pads to go with your attire or you will leak through your dress.  When I was getting ready, I would always ask when I was expected to be in my dress.  Twenty minutes before I would make sure to get in one last pump session.  Then the first seconds that you can, run and grab your baby and feed them.  I bring a cover because you never know where you will be when you are able to actually feed your baby.  Your dress may have to be pulled down completely to allow access.

Helping out the Hubs:
If you are in the wedding, then most likely your husband is on his own.  He needs to get that baby dressed up, himself put together and keep that baby quiet during the wedding.  For our last wedding, we bought noise canceling headphones and wished we would have bought them much earlier.  Nugget would freak everytime the room clapped and then Dufda would need to remove him.  I always made sure there was enough milk set aside, I picked out Nugget's clothes, left instructions on where the wedding was, and stocked the diaper bag full of Nugget's favorite items.  I suggest bringing a carrier so that you can at least dance and have fun while your baby is awake.

It won't be the same as when you didn't have kids:
Don't think you will be able to stay till midnight or you are going to have as much fun as you once did at wedding.  Taking a baby to a wedding is work.  That work usually ends when they have a fit from being over stimulated and you need to make a quick exit before 9pm.  I am sad that I was unable to enjoy really any of my friends weddings, but this is my new normal and my responsibility lays with my child.

Don't bite off more than you can chew:
Because I sure did.  All of these weddings mean equally as many showers and just as many presents.  It is tiring and expensive.  No one can prepare you for how you are going to be holding up after you have a baby.  Throw in all the planning that goes along with being a wedding and you will for sure be overwhelmed.  I wish I knew this before.  I would suggest letting the bride know that you would love to be in the wedding if your lack of involvement will not upset them, otherwise suggest you can take part in another way.

1 comment:

  1. Many people usually do not take into account inside the computer software while they appear with this kind of low-cost fake omega. They've got the notion that folks must pay out month to month demand to be qualified to receive directly to utilize to be able to huge sum of programs throughout the world. Just what they will probably overlook will be the organizations pay out an exceptionally shameful demand so that you can breitling replica the particular sign to be able to user’s PERSONAL COMPUTER, simply how much can world wide web value an individual? You ought to understand that pretty well. The business makes use of the particular business to build income; the harder folks employ their particular computer software, the excess revenue they will generate. Observe Totally free TV SET on the web thought can appear rolex replica uk not used to some individuals while they are receiving utilized to that. In fact they will by no means that is amazing they are able to observe their particular neighborhood TV SET programs even when they may be inside the added region. The energy regarding World wide web has had folks over and above their particular possibility. Which is probably a single income that produces this kind of computer software holders right out of the conventional tv program. People can observe Totally free TV SET on the web rolex datejust replica sale. Folks are involved to acknowledge the way to observe tv by way of a broadband relationship. It isn't challenging to acknowledge in which. For your earlier ten years, folks are already spending the particular tv companies month to month charges to be able to directly to utilize the TV SET plans employing their community and also satellite tv plate methods. Also even though the measurements regarding satellite tv dinners have got shrunk over time, installment nonetheless cartier replica be performed missing together with. Properties proceed seeking just like tiny tv areas.

    ReplyDelete