Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Affrodable Care Act and Breastfeeding

So changes are coming to health care in the U.S, but what are those changes and do they make a different to us.  If you are a new mother, the answer is probably yes.

So what does my insurance company cover?
There isn't just one answer obviously because we all have different providers.  Your insurance company is most likely still trying to solidify its policy on breast pump coverage.  Speak up!  Tell them what you want.  If enough mothers are talking, I am sure we can make a different.  The Affordable Care Act does not require a co-payment for a breast pump currently.  If you get into the situation where you baby must be admitted into the NICU, most insurance companies will cover the hospital grade pump that you will need.

Make sure that you are asking your insurance company if you are required to obtain a prescription for your pump.  This is simple if they require it.  My midwife just simply wrote that I need a double electric pump on a prescription pad, I took a picture of the prescription and uploaded to the website where I obtained my pump from.


When you do find out what your insurance covers, there will most likely be a couple options for pumps.  You are usually unable to obtain this pump until after birth.  I know I was only able to apply after my baby was born.  That has now changed to 60 days prior to your due date for my health insurance (Aetna).  This gives you time to talk to other moms and research the best pump for you.  So the pump that you really want isn't covered by insurance   Don't hesitate to ask if you are able to make up the difference in cost to obtain the pump of your dreams.  You will be spending a lot of time with that device, get the one you want.

A breast pump isn't the only thing that is needed for a breastfeeding mother.  We need support as well and the Affordable Care Act has acknowledged that.  Nearly all plans cover lactation counseling without a co-pay.  This will no doubt lead to more successful breastfeeding relationships.  I know my plan covered 6 visits to a lactation consultant, as well as one who called me each week till I was 6 weeks post partum.  This service was invaluable to me and my breastfeeding journey.  I was able to have all questions and concerns addressed.

What questions do you have about the new law?  Let's try to get them all answered.




3 comments:

  1. I actually called my insurance today asking about breast pumps. I do need a prescription from my doctor, and I will need to wait until my baby is born before I can get the breast pump. They will give me a medela swing breast pump. I am due in 3 1/2 weeks, and have a doctors app tomorrow. I will ask her to write the prescription for me to have ready when ever baby comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually recently WON a breast pump but it's nice to know I might be able to get a different one if this one doesn't work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really happy insurance companies will now cover breast pumps. I became extremely ill shortly after giving birth to my first and was so engorged. All I had at the time was a hand pump which hurt when I had to use it.

    ReplyDelete