Monday, September 16, 2013

Oh, Canada!

I hear all the time how having a baby takes away the spontaneity in your life.  I feel like it does the complete opposite.  How the heck are you suppose to plan, when this little being cannot discuss his plan with you.  I see it as, oh the baby is happy today, what can we do?

This is just how I approached last weekend.  Dufda and I were getting pretty bored with our routine.  I got to work on Friday and shot him a message to see if he would like to take a trip to Canada.  I have been wanting to show him the Falls and we had no plans for the weekend.  He said sure and I booked the trip.   When I got home and we were talking about the trip this conversation happened:

"Babe are we staying on the American side?"
"No, Dufda we are staying on the Canadian side.  I already check and you won't get deported."
"You mean we are going to Canada tomorrow?"
"Yes, we are going to Canada tomorrow."
"Like as in a different country?"
"Yes, it is a different country."
"Hopefully we can eat some Canadian food."


 We left at 5:30 am the next day.  I promised I wouldn't stress.  Stress is something I do all the time when I travel.  My new motto is, "If I forget it, I can buy it, these places have stores."  I manged to get all of our belongings into a carry on size bag and we were good to go.



Nugget's favorite time of the day is like 4 am.  I shutter at the thought of his running around in the morning when he starts to walk.  Anyway, this goes in our favor when you are planning a road trip.  We wanted to leave bright and early and Nugget cooperated completely.  Niagara Falls is about 4 hours away according to Map Quest, add in a 6 month old and a husband that pees just as frequently, it took us about 6 hours.



When we got there it started to look like it was going to rain.  Rain would sure ruin my trip since we were only going to be there a total of like 30 hours.  Our hotel wasn't ready yet, so we got a parking spot and head to the Falls.  Good thing we brought the rain cover for the stroller, because rain it did.  When Dufda saw the falls, his reaction, "Why are they so small?"  He sure knows how to take the excitement out of anything.  He rescinded his statement when he saw the bigger falls.  Nugget was so excited about the falls...he fell asleep.  We had lunch at Outback Steakhouse since I never want to drive the 30 minutes to the one that is closest to us.  It was a pretty big disappointment so now I know we aren't missing anything.  We then had to wait there until 3 pm since we had no hotel and it was now monsooning outside.



We stayed at the Baymont Inn and Suite at the Falls.  The location was great, maybe ten minute walk to the Falls, less than that to Clifton Hill.  Our hotel room was surprising large for a low end room.  We got in, changed our clothes and head out.  I wasn't going to let a little rain ruin my sightseeing.  Dufda, on the other hand, think vampires to sun and you get Dufda to rain.  He has three umbrellas in our car...you know in case the first two break, you wouldn't want to get wet.  He doesn't even have hair that it would matter if he got caught in the rain.  Anyway, in my effort to conserve space I brought all of one outfit for me to wear.  Motherhood had greatly lowered my need to look spectacular and has made packing way easier.  That one outfit got wet in a hurry.  



We headed out to the Falls and enjoyed watching people.  We stopped at Tim Horton's and got some snacks.  I would have really liked to show Dufda the Falls at night, but Nugget goes to be at 7:30 so we did miss that.  Oh well, they aren't going anywhere.  We stopped and got Falafel sandwiches on the way to our room for dinner.  Dufda kept saying he wanted to eat something Canadian, I still don't know what this would be, but we had steak and middle eastern food, same stuff we would have eaten if we were here.  We were both exhausted and were in bed by 8:40 pm.



Cock-a-doodle-dooo.  We woke up bright and early so we could get a different prospective of the Falls.  And so Dufda can use all of his lenses on his camera....There were close to no people out and it made it great to walk with our huge hunkin stroller.  The weather was chilly but wonderful since it was egg frying status at home.  I was so excited to dress Nugget up in all of his new falls clothes I just bought...then I realized they were already to small....awesome. 



But really, the morning made up for the crappy weather the day before.  We got in a nice 4 hour stroll and headed back to our room to pack.  We were on road by 11am.  Another six hours later and we were home relaxing.  It was just what we needed really.



Have you taken any spontaneous trips lately?




2 comments:

  1. Things never go as planned do they? Travelling with a baby is even harder! Just because it always seems to be that day that baby's schedule changes or something :)It is definitely worth it! We haven't travelled too far yet but we are planning!

    ReplyDelete



  2. Amongst the most common hublot replica sale and also easiest reselling so far stands out as the Ironman by just Timex. The common watch revolutionized any sporting events society having a brand during stability stimulated by just triathletes within the breitling replica sale. It all was established to get demanding, water resistant together with impact protected which can at the same time work as some sort of alert together with stopwatch. Within the earliest 8 clapboard fake breitling sale it all created during 1986, different different types were definitely deeper unveiling to help with any Ironman see range. Into the, any fake chanel handbags piece new came into being instead of ruined together with broken bands and artists. Eventually, it had become essential take the place of those wrist bands the fact that not anymore did the trick. Swapping out an individual's fake rolex watches piece might also be meant for coziness or simply a improve in vogue. Numerous varieties those interchangeable bands and artists are usually entered from your Online world together with department shops.

    ReplyDelete